At Georgia Cremation, we handle all aspects of cremation… including obituaries. An obituary is a notice of death that includes a brief summary of the person’s life along with a list of surviving family members and a mention of funeral arrangements. In the past, obituaries were typically published in the family’s local newspaper. However, since the advent of the Internet, online obituaries have skyrocketed in popularity.
Why are countless families choosing to create and share their loved one’s obituaries online? Here are just a few advantages online obituaries provide:
- They are more colorful. Unlike the obits printed in black and white newspapers, online obituaries allow families to post a beautiful, full-color obituary including multiple photos of their loved one. These professionally-designed online obituary templates can be customized to match your loved one’s unique style.
- They give you more space. With newspaper obituaries, families are greatly limited in the amount of space they have to tell their loved one’s story and share important details about memorial services. On the other hand, online obituaries provide nearly unlimited space for families to share photos, stories, accomplishments and quotes as well as detailed funeral arrangement information.
- They help get the word out. In today’s digital age, the number of people who read the newspaper is dwindling. More and more people are turning to the Internet to catch up on news, search for information and stay in touch with family and friends. Therefore, if you only print an obituary in the local newspaper, many of your friends and relatives may not receive word of your loved one’s passing. However, if you print your loved one’s obituary both in the paper and online, you’re more likely to reach a larger audience.
- They are easier to share. It’s incredibly easy to notify friends and family of a loved one’s passing through an online obituary. Once you’ve created an online obituary for your loved one, you can simply email a link to all your family and friends. You may also post the link on Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites.
- Family and friends can write online condolences.When relatives, friends, co-workers and acquaintances visit your loved one’s online obituary, they can quickly and easily post their online condolences to the page. These online condolences can offer immeasurable comfort and hope to survivors in the days and weeks following the death of a loved one. Plus, this option often relieves surviving family members from countless phone calls from those wishing to express their condolences. At such a difficult time, many people often don’t have the time or strength for long, drawn out phone conversations.
- They are permanent. Unlike a newspaper obituary, which can be lost or destroyed, online obituaries are permanent. Once you post an obituary to the Internet, it will be there forever—which means you can visit it any time to remember your loved one, leave a comment or read the condolences other loved ones have written.
Here at Georgia Cremation, we offer free online obituaries to all the families we serve. As part of this valuable service, families can easily post their loved one’s story, memorial service details, photos and other information to our website, and friends and relatives can write online condolences, reflections and messages to the family.
To learn more about our online obituaries, contact Georgia Cremation today!